From the Herald Sun:
A POPULAR Japanese restaurant has been severely damaged after a fire broke out in Albert Park overnight.
Flames were seen coming from Misuzu's on Victoria Avenue at around 1.50am this morning.
When the fire services arrived they were faced with five-metre high flames as the blaze took hold of the two-storey building. It took 24 firefighters almost two hours to control the situation.
The fire is estimated to have caused damages of at least $500,000. An adjoining shop, owned by the same business, was saved.
3 comments:
I was shocked when I heard the news this morning. When the report on the radio began with "A popular Albert Park restaurant has been destroyed by fire" I immediately said to myself "Please don't be Misuzu's". I could hardly believe it when the reporter confirmed my fears.
Misuzu's is/was probably my favourite Melbourne restaurant - great location (quiet, leafy street in Albert Park), friendly service (by the girls in black t-shirts), always busy (but never too busy), constantly changing selection of salady and noodle-y things from the front counter (including a plethora of vegetarian options), generous serving sizes, very affordable prices, and - last but not least - delicious food. I'm lucky I happened to catch up with a friend there last Tuesday. I hope that the owners can recover from such a setback and rebuild, but if they don't then I say: "Misuzu's - I salute you"!
Apparently a lamp covered by decorative celophane left on overnight caused the rice paper lampshade to catch on fire. There were no smoke alarms or sprinklers installed in the building ... http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22935368-2862,00.html
this place was/is awsome - apart from the food - the sake selection and knowledge of the manager/owner is sensational - certainly made for some greta times there... cannot recommend this plac highly enough!
Post a Comment